VETERINARY REFERRAL POLICY STATEMENT
Our goal is to help our mutual clients and patients with pain management and rehabilitation therapy. This involves a multifaceted approach which may include:
- Complete musculoskeletal, neurological, and functional ability examination. Measurements will be taken to obtain objective data to evaluate outcome measures as the patient progresses through therapy.
- Treatment plans and therapeutic modalities will be based on patient’s condition, ability, owner’s goals and availability for rehab therapy.
- The client will be educated on pain management options (including pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, therapeutic modalities, and regenerative medicine). The client will be given the choice to refill these medications at their primary veterinarians or at River Canine Rehabilitation while undergoing therapy.
- The client will be educated on nutrition in association with weight loss goals or joint protection and pain relief.
- The client will be educated on home exercise programs to help reach and maintain goals.
- The client will be educated on surgical intervention options, braces or orthotics, wheelchairs and other patient comfort options such as Help ‘Em up harness or toe grips.
To do the best job possible for the pet, a clinical diagnosis is needed. If a clinical diagnosis is not made prior to referral, the appropriate diagnostics (relating to pain and dysfunction) will need to be obtained at the initial evaluation. This may include:
- Radiographs and complete orthopedic examination under sedation
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (+/- sedation)
- Degenerative Myelopathy DNA testing when appropriate
- Biochemical lab testing if starting new meds or sedation is required for diagnostics
If you prefer for these procedures to be done in your hospital, please complete them prior to the referral appointment and send results to: email@example.com
COMMUNICATION WITH REFERRING VETERINARIANS
- We will send you an initial evaluation report, patient problem list, goals and therapeutic plan within 48 hours.
- We will send a follow up report every 4 weeks and at the end of therapy to keep you updated on our mutual patient.
- If you have any questions at all – please call!! We love visiting with our referring veterinarians.
It is our policy to only provide veterinary services related to pain management and rehabilitation therapy. We will refer the client back to the primary veterinarian for any other health related services, diagnostics, products, etc.